Renal colic is pain in right or left lower abdomen or low back due to disease in the kidney, ureter or bladder. This pain may have a radiation to the groin or thigh. This is a griping type of pain.
- Bladder or kidney or ureteric stones are the main reasons for Renal colic.
- Disease of the kidney e.g. hydronephrosis, polycystic kidneys, tuberculosis.
- Blood clot in the water or kidney or bladder.
- Inflammation of ureter.
- Foreign body in bladder.
- Inflammation of bladder.
- Infection of kidney, ureter, or bladder.
- Some other diseases which may give similar pains like renal colic are:
- Inflammation of pancreas.
- Inflammations of gall bladder.
- Appendicitis (right side pain).
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
- Pain in the abdomen either right or left lower abdomen.
- Pain may radiate to the groin or thigh.
- Increase in frequency of micturition.
- Painful urination.
- Red urine.
DO’S AND DONT’S:
- Always consult a doctor if you experience any of the above symptoms.
- Do not self medicate.
- Hot pads or hot water bags over the abdomen may help to relieve pain.
- Diet and fluids may be taken depending on the underlying cause.
- If it is due to stones which is the most commonest cause then, Drink plenty of fluids at 3/5 litres per day. Avoid things in diet which causes stones e.g. milk, milk products, red meat, fish, liver oils, chocolate, grapes, beans, strawberries etc.
- Hot water bags over abdomen help to relieve pain.
- Avoid strenuous exercise which get you dehydrated.
- Avoid Vitamin D supplements.
- Avoid antacids.
- Avoid increase salt intake.
- Urinate as soon as you get a urge .
- Empty your bladder after an intercourse to avoid any infection. Avoid using scented soaps of vaginal deodorants-they may give rise to infection.
- Maintain a good diet to have good immune system. Practice good bathroom hygiene. Clean yourself thoroughly after using toilet.
- Avoid alcohol, chocolate, tea, tomatoes citrus fruit, spicy food, vinegar, during infection they irritate the urinary tract.